Monday, April 16, 2007

Updates, In Sort of a Rambling Fashion

So, this is ye olde pointless rambly post, mostly to catch my brain up to my life. We'll see how it works out. Most of the funny has been going on at It's Still Football, so that's part of the explanation. I also haven't had much to say other than "Wow, Friday Night Lights is a good television show," or "The mortgage industry is comprised almost exclusively of the dregs of humanity," or random personal-life things that are kind of boring and would turn this into the livejournal-y emo blog that doesn't have the kind of tone I like to play in. Nobody really needs to read about my navel-gazing, and it's not as cathartic to get it in pixels as I thought it might be.

That said, let's play Pro v. Con/Yay v. Boo/Tip of the Hat v. Wag of the Finger with Things. But I'm not stealing those titles. Instead, we're playing

Victory Right/Wide Left

Victory Right - The following conversation this weekend actually occurred:

Riggs: "Yes, but when two girls make out it's sexy."
Josh: "When Riggs talks about two girls making out, it's not sexy
anymore."
Riggs: "Why isn't it sexy anymore?"
Josh: "I don't know, but I'm mad at you for making it unsexy."

Wide Left - I look hugely creepy in the pictures from this event.

Victory Right - Last week, I was walking out of the Hancock building, and passed two tourist-y types, which isn't out of the ordinary. This, however, is:

Woman: "The energy here is very bad."
Man: "So we shouldn't go in today?"

I should say not. Very weird, made me laugh. The energy? What energy? Is there a spooky aura around the Hancock that only wackos can see?

4-Yard Rush Up the Gut on 2nd Down - I've already broken my system, because I couldn't decide where to put this anecdote. On that same lunchtime walk, I also passed a clump of three or four protesters on the corner of Chicago and Michigan. I guess Cheney was in town briefly, though I don't know where he was specifically, and these people had three signs.
  • One that said "Cheney War Criminal" (Points for brevity, I guess)
  • One that said "You suck, Dick." (Right, I get the joke.)
  • One that said "Don't shoot me in the face." (Oh, man, can we be over the face-shooting thing? Please? At least on protest signs?)

Please note that the face-shooting thing is still funny in satirical student films. Not that I'm thinking of one specificaly. Okay, I totally am.

Anyway, my point is that the only people who can get worked up over things sufficiently to exercise their rights to assembly and free speech and whatnot are the people who are least likely to be effective. These delightful examples of the American Spirit unfortunately were the wild-eyed, unwashed sort, with the poster-making accumen of a 5th-grade civics project. Well, plus the dick jokes. So, I initially got a chuckle out of it, and then was disappointed by the fact that we're kind of going to hell in a handbasket as much because of the gap between rich and poor as the gap between loony and cleverly industrious. I guess the difference is that those who are less-familiar with clever satire and the benefits of a regular shower end up with their signs on a (randomly chosen?) street corner, and those who are clever with the commentary are Steven Colbert. So, there's still kind of a meritocracy. That's good. I guess. I don't know what my point is.

Wide Left - Stupid timing-of-life stuff. No, emo-blog! Get away!

Victory Right - Mr. Marmalade, though my preparation for same might be sliding into the Wide Left category.

I Have No Idea - The Castle. I think it'll be good. I don't think I understand yet, necessarily.

Kicked Directly Into the Back of the Offensive Line, and Then a Meteor Strikes the Stadium, Leading to the Extinction of Life On Earth - This job is dumb.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 16 April, 2007 14:04, Blogger JM said...

Sadly, that should be "satirical student films that have yet to get to a final cut"... moral of the story: Germans Love David Hasselhoff. And apparently, so do the Irish: http://defamer.com/hollywood/david-hasselhoff/irelands-hoff+a+like-available-for-weddings-and-wakes-252311.php

 

Post a Comment

<< Home