Sunday, March 18, 2007

It Would Be Difficult to Be a Bigger Nerd

So. You can feel free to ignore this post, if you're some sort of connoisseur of quality writing, or in-depth analysis, because I'm just going to tell you that I wish I had been watching TV with someone, rather than by myself tonight, because I found myself to be very clever.

First, the only show I watched was Battlestar Galactica, which immediately limits my co-audience to people who aren't put off by the fact that the drama takes place in space, where there are robots-what-look-like-humans who are trying to kill our protagonists.
It's good drama, most of the time. Crisp writing. Plot twists. Good acting. So, get over yourself about the robots/space/future/imaginary-military stuff. You watch cop dramas, right? You watch 24? That's equally unbelievable - it's the story that's important.

But I digress. The two delightful things were as follows:

1) There's a guy who's on trial for being a bastard and letting a bunch of the robots-what-look-like-people kill a bunch of the people-who-are-in-fact-people-unless-they're-robot-sleepers-in-disguise. Bad crazy, president, bad! So, during this trial (in spaaaaaace), the prosecuting attorney lets us know that he, due to the allegations of genocide, must pay the Ultimate Price.

Clearly, Gaius Baltar will have to live with the Farrises[1]. And that's a television show I'd watch religiously. I'm going to pitch that as a television show, actually. As soon as I wrap my mind around it and can condense it into a sentence or two. Because right now it reads like this:

So, this genius scientist guy who's currently all scruffy and Jesus-looking has this megalomania thing going on, as genius scientists are wont to do, right? He's almost wiped out humanity twice, he found out his girlfriend was a robot, initially bent on the destruction of the human race, and he currently is hallucinating his sexy robot girlfriend and writing polemics on the rising aristocracy. He has to live with a college marching band director who's even weirder, and his wife, who is a total mystery, but briefly was thought to be a vampire. (This was later proven to be untrue. Or at least unlikely.) Hijinks ensue.

2) This is less involved. One character says, "I have a feeling about [something something]," leading the second character to say "Just a feeling?" Clearly, I must pause the TiVo, and sing Boston's "More Than a Feeling," briefly. I then un-pause the TiVo, to hear the character say "More than a feeling..."

I cheer.

[1]If you were never in NUMB, this was an actual conversation, once upon a time: "Then he'll have to pay the ultimate price." "He'll have to move in with Mr. Farris?" Of course, when he got married, it got amended to "the Farrises." I appreciate the correction to that quote, if it needs a correction.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home