Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Ahh... That's more like it...

This marks the first post in, what, three? Four? That I didn't punctuate with exclamation points in the title. What can I say? I'm excited about things! Or whatever! Perhaps I'm just insane.

You can read about my West Wing fanwanking on the following page, now that I've learned how to do that:


My point, though is not about the ebullience of my posting style, but rather about the fact that I got the 5th season of The West Wing for Christmas, and just got around to watching it now. I was a little gunshy due to the fact that I recall it being massively disappointing in the wake of seasons 1-4, and the bailing of Crazy Aaron Sorkin. Watching it with the last half-dozen episodes from the Senator Alda/Congressman Smits Extravaganza (with special guest Incompetent Josh!) in mind, it occurs to me that you could give these guys the tax code to read, and John Spencer and co. could be affecting. But maybe I'm giving things too much credit - this first episode is really good. I'll just have to wait until I get to the clunkers later in the season to decide.

ANYWAY. I really like the first episode of the season, and wish they had done more with the John Goodman character, because the interactions between him and Leo and Josh and CJ and everybody are great. Really delightfully awkward and weighty and whatnot. I don't really know how I feel about this current season, because it seems like everything's all over the place. Plus, I guess the news that the series is officially canned came on Monday, which puts me in a pensive mood, vis a vis my Favorite Show On Television Possibly Ever.

There are really only a few salient points to make here. One is that the late John Spencer is my favorite, I want to grow up to be him, and now every time he comes on screen, well, there's a distinct possibility that my "allergies" might start to "act up." Second is that it's nice to know you can successfully graduate from being the bad guy in an Adam Sandler movie. Third is that I want to be Josh Malina when I grow up less than when I grow up to be John Spencer. Fourth is that Allison Janney is on The List. You know what The List is. I'm not going to enumerate what's great about Richard Schiff(!), Janel Moloney, Dule Hill, Stockard Channing (check that - I hate Grease, so I'll comment on that, obliquely and parenthetically), Martin Sheen, oh! Lily Tomlin! The guys who play Fitzwallace and Nancy McNally! NiCole Robinson is reeeeeally underrated. Kristin Chenoweth has been good this year. And the poor dead Ms. Landingham! That was a good episode! Yeah, all right, Rob Lowe was good times. A shame about that chick who played Mandy in the first season. Agh. It's all good. I don't dislike anybody. Except for the chick who plays Zoey. Okay. I went overboard a little there. Sorry. I'll make another paragraph for my last point, which is what prompted this post in the first place. So, here it is.

Fifth is that, sorry Martin, but Glenallen Walken is my president.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home