Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I Predict College Football

The original plan was to have a Barbary Pirate Predict College Football, but it was too hard. So this week, no guest, just me.

Northern Illinois Huskies (0-1) vs. Northwestern Wildcats (1-0)

I'm going to stick with the "If they don't turn the ball over, they're in good shape." I also don't think that NIU has any sort of secondary. Spread the field boys, spread the field. That's my thought, anyway. 'Cats win, 42-21.

Northwestern 38, NIU 37. NU wins the turnover battle 2-1, but won more due to the fact that NIU was terrified to go into overtime against the Wildcats. And screwed up the 2-point conversion thanks to ineptitude, rather than any lack of skill on Northwestern's part. Which, well, great. Ugh.

#2 Texas Longhorns (1-0) vs. (the) #4 Ohio State Buckeyes (1-0)

I'm going to argue that the 'Shoe is going to be far too much for Texas to overcome. Not a snoozer, but I feel pretty good about tOSU. Buckeyes win, 17-10.

Texas 25, OSU 22. I'm going to go with "I was almost right." OSU should've pulled it out. They're still a good time, but Vince Young was too much to overcome. Not the 'Shoe. Oopsen.


#20 Notre Dame Fighting Irish (1-0) vs. #3 Michigan Wolverines (1-0)

I'd like to say that Notre Dame will win, and I'd be thrilled if that were the case. I am going to go with it being a shootout, but... at Michigan? And Michigan's not that overrated, especially with the emotion that comes with a game v. Notre Dame. And yet, Charlie Weis has to have these kids believing that they can run with anybody... Crap. I don't like it, but Wolverines win 45-41.

Notre Dame 17, Michigan 10. Hooray! I was wrong! And could I be more wrong on the score? A shootout? Idiot. Michigan isn't that overrated. The question is, how long can ND keep this up? And is Michigan this vulnerable?

South Carolina Gamecocks (1-0) vs. #8 Georgia Bulldogs (1-0)

This is my upset special. Why? I don't have a good reason, but I don't think Georgia is ever as good as they're supposed to be, and I like Spurrier (well, no, I don't, but I think he's an excellent college coach), and I don't give two craps if Georgia is at home or on Mars. I'll pick against Georgia until they lose. I don't know why I have such vitriol against Georgia, but I do. Gamecocks win, 24-17.

Georgia 17, South Carolina 15. Damn, I was close... Georgia did score 17 points, so good for me. And SC scared Georgia, so that's good, isn't it?

#5 Louisiana State Tigers (0-0) vs. #15 Arizona State Sun Devils (1-0)

Everybody in the Upset Special thing is picking ASU. I didn't chose it, because I'd feel like an asshole picking against LSU, who had to move this game from Baton Rouge to Tempe. ASU put up semi-gaudy numbers last week, but against Temple. I still can't pick against LSU. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. Grrr. I picked all hard picks this week. Tigers win, 28-21.

LSU 35, Arizona State 31. All right, thank God I picked one right. Too much emotion, ASU couldn't put them away. That's something I figured on. Good job.

For the week: 2-3. Not so good. Perhaps I should get the Hulk back.

For the season: 5-5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home